Friday, October 4, 2013

British Berkefeld ( Berkey ) Portable Water Filtration System

The only water filter I am familiar with is the British Berkefeld, also known as the Berkey. I've owned one since 2002. It's one of the smaller, table-top models , holding two 7" ceramic filters in the top canister which removes chlorine, bacteria, cryptosporidium, giardia, salmonella, and sediment. It makes my tap water taste as sweet as spring water. For added protection, I add two fluoride/arsenic filters to the bottom of the others.

The Berkey works by gravity and produces up to 10 gallons of clean water per day. Just pour water in the top canister, and as it is filtered, it flows into the bottom canister. I use the filtered water for drinking, making coffee, tea, and for cooking.

It's lightweight when empty and easy to pack up and take with you on vacation.



No comments: